As you know the school was inspected by Ofsted on 24th & 25th April 2013. Enclosed you will find a copy of the Ofsted report relating to that visit.
Ofsted’s inspection regime has changed considerably since the school was last inspected in 2008. The expectations Ofsted have of schools’ performance are higher now than they have ever been and the inspection methodology is even more challenging and rigorous. Please note that Ofsted does state quite clearly that our students do make the progress expected of them.
We are very disappointed by the outcome of the two day inspection, as I am sure you will be, but are determined to address the issues Ofsted raised, as a matter of urgency. I would like to reassure you that we will work tenaciously to ensure that as quickly as possible the school moves from Requires Improvement to Good or Outstanding in all of the areas that Ofsted inspects.
As you will see from the report, Inspectors found the strengths of the school to be:
- Standards are consistently well above average. Students working at higher levels achieve well.
- Progress in Science is good
- The Headteacher and senior leaders are making improvements to the quality of teaching that are enhancing students’ achievement
- Students behave well and support each other in their learning
- Students feel safe and are very aware of potential dangers and how to avoid or manage them
- The school promotes students’ spiritual, moral, social and cultural understanding well
- The governing body knows a lot about the school’s work and is able to help steer it forward
Inspectors reported that our students are polite, friendly, get on well with one another and enjoy school. Overall our students were a credit to themselves, to you and to the school during the two days of the inspection. I am very proud of the way they engaged in the process.
The school will receive further guidance and advice from Ofsted in the coming months. There will be a number of changes as we begin to work on our new School Improvement Plan which will focus on securing the highest possible achievement and the best quality of teaching for our pupils.
It is my intention to hold an open parents’ evening on Tuesday, 21st May at 6.00 pm for parents to find out more about the school’s plans to ensure excellence. Although this is short notice, I feel it is important that we hold the meeting before half-term and unfortunately, this is the only evening available.
Thank you in anticipation of your continued support.