Welcome to the BGS Old Boys’ Association

Welcome to the Old Boys Association.

The Objectives of the Association are:

• To foster the spirit of good fellowship among past members of the school.
  • To maintain the interest of each member in the welfare and advancement of the school
    • Peter Robinson on July 15, 2015 at 9:48 pm

I have just arrived home after playing in the Annual Old Boys Golf Competition for the Presidents Trophy; I played my habitual rubbish, 31 points, but I need to comment on the excellent condition of the Beverley Golf Club course on the Westwood, and the usual excellent organisation on the day by John Robinson. We also enjoyed great weather, warm sunny and a very gentle breeze. At £5 for members of Beverley and £10 for visitors such as myself it has been an excellent day and great value for money.
    Can any of you who read this, note this week in your diary for next year, presumably Wednesday, as John deserves a bigger turnout then the fourteen or so old boys who played this year.

• Patrick E Mackey (1974 - 80) on December 29, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Patrick E Mackey (1974-1980)
    November 28, 2014 at 11:18 am (UTC 0) Link to this comment
    As one of many old boys who dutifully pays their annual fees and subscribes to the Old Boys’ annual Magazine i doubt that I am not alone in my disappointment at the lack of interest in the association by old boys under the age of 55. this is borne out by the dwindling number of attendees of the annual dinner over the last 30 years. If one examines the list of those there in recent years, it speaks volumes that there is virtually no one who went to the school past the mid 1960s! why is this the case? My experience of the Old Boys Association and the annual dinners over the last 30 years is that it it is terribly terribly BORING!!! It seems to be a little club consisting of die-hards from the 1950s and 60s that have no interest in change or indeed the survival of the association beyond their own tenure..

Please do not get me wrong, I have every admiration for the efforts of the committee but, really gentlemen, you really need to pull something out of the hat as a matter of urgency. The association does not need to change beyond all recognition; some of the traditions of the association are as relevant today as ever – (and many are not!), Standing still is not an option. We must move with the times and identify ways to recruit old boys as they leave school at 18, not just rely upon middle aged men getting misty eyes and nostalgic over a long lost youth and returning to bosom of the association just for old time’s sake

Where are my contemporaries (1974 – 80), or those that came after me on the committees or in attendance at the dinners? You have already forfeited a generation of supporters and fundraisers. Please don’t lose touch to the extent that your inaction caused the demise of the association.

Patrick E Mackey

• Brian Robinson on May 30, 2014 at 4:03 pm

3Greetings to those dating long way back . Is there anyone out there who remembers the school plays run by Major Black? Noah, Rossums Universal Robots, Faustus, Julius Caesar, Macbeth. I also have fond memories of Geography with Jack Warmesly{?} and the Scout troop with Jack Morris. Any others go back to the 50ties?? would love to hear from you…. as well as the details of joining the Assoc. I have been away from the town since the that time. Brian.

• Peter Robinson on May 12, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Hello anyone looking in.
    I attended the school from 1955 to 1961. I joined 1S when George Whitely was Form Master. I readily admit that he and I never got along and I disliked the way he taught French, but what he did teach me, through his daily repetition of our form roll call was the Roll itself. Apart from chance meetings with 3 of my former 1S starters shortly after leaving school I have not met any one since. So is there any one of you looking in?

Lenton , Limbert, Lincoln, Lofthouse, Louis, Mapplebeck, Marks, Mason, Mitchel, Norman, Park, Parnaby, Pearson, Pickering, Richardson, Ringrose, Robinson Shaw, Silver, Sutton, Taylor, Topliss, Tuton, Wikinson, Wikinson, Wood.

Having written and counted this list I think I must have missed four names, because I believe there were thirty of us, so if anyone can fill the gaps it would be interesting to know.

• Jim Mortimer on May 13, 2014 at 2:44 pm

Not me, I am much younger. But for some reason I have an original BGOBA car grill badge. Anyone interested and I will look it out. I should add, it is not free but looks good …… Jim (born in Beverley, but escaped very early in my life).

• Eric Taylor on June 24, 2014 at 12:13 pm

Curly??
      Remember you and John well – weren’t we all in Minster House. Met John years ago when I came to Bishop Burton for an interview. Came to Beverley the night before so went up to the school to have a look round. This chap was belting a golf ball around the school field and came over to see what I was doing there – that was John.
      I have often thought that I should have joined the Old Boys but never got round to it – it was good to see some of those names again. Lived in Worcester for the last 42 years – now obviously retired.
      Eric Taylor

• Peter Robinson on July 15, 2014 at 9:41 am

Hello Eric,
        Yes we were in Minster house together. After persuing my career all around England we came back to live in Yorkshire in 1990. Then from 1993 when I was made redundant I ran my own business, as a Sawmiller, Forestry consultant and Woodland skills trainer. I also retired this year. Interestingly when I set up my Business I sought financial advice from the Midland Bank and whilst doing so met David Bugg who was then a Business management adviser of some kind for the Bank . I will be with brother John this afternoon when we will both be knocking a golf ball around the westwood in the annual Old Boys Golf match.

If you are near Beverley at any time do call the school , you would be welcome to have a look in the archive which is kept by the librarian.
        Peter Robinson (Curly)

1. Reply

Hello Peter,

Greetings from Denmark. We last met at the 2012 Annual Dinner. The numbers in the 1955/1956 1S class varied: 30 in the Autumn term, 33 in the Spring term and 32 in the Summer term. I have a few more names for your list: Sexton, Thacker, Norriss (he joined later in the year), Stevenson and two more names which I am a little unsure of: Turner and Wilson. I hope that helps you to complete your list. See you at the next Annual Dinner.

Barrie Norman

• Brian Cleaver on January 15, 2014 at 9:53 am

Congratulations to all involved in getting the BGSOBA web area up and running. Long may it continue. Suggest it would be good if this first page provided a bit more information on how old boys can join the Association?
    Keep up the good work. Let me know if anyone is in need of a spare set of handwritten 1960’s School Rules.
    Cleaves

• David Cornwall on June 10, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Hello Brian,
      Many memories of morning and evening trips on the “Anlaby Bus”
      I have a vague momory of a school rule about only opening or closing a window with a master’s permission.
      Oh happy days!,
      David Cornwall.

• Mark Evans on July 9, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Hello Brian, David – I recall that very same school rule, not that it was ever imposed. I used to board the bus further down the road, at Great Gutter Lane, Willerby. Remember some of the characters among the EYMS “connies”?

• Brian Cleaver on August 11, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Hello David,
        Good to hear from you after what must be more than 40 years? Sorry for the slow response but was just checking the website to see any info on the date of this years OBA dinner and saw your note. I have many memories of our daily bus runs, some good and some not so good. Like having to go to front of the bus and sing Christmas carols for the benefit of the 6th formers. Also some kind youth tying my football boots around my neck and the seat in the front (had to rescued by the clippie at Anlaby). Do you have any contact with any of our other fellow class mates at Beverley or perhaps Anlaby?
        Best regards
        Brian

• David Cornwall on February 5, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Still visiting Anlaby every few weeks – Mum lived in the village latterly and is now in a care home in Cottingham. Not had any contact with anyone since leaving school – whatever happened to Trevor Standing. We were all at Anlaby County Primary School together – and by strange coincidence my younger brother Alan (who went to Wolfreton) is now Head there. John Moser to Alan Cornwall!

• Trevor Standing on February 23, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Trevor Standing is alive and well…..and having recently retired now have time to read sites like this….happy days. Now living in Kirkella. Would be pleased to meet up and reminise..regards Trev.

• Brian Cleaver on March 4, 2015 at 10:55 am

Good morning Trevor, good to hear that you are alive and well. It would be great to meet sometime as you suggest. We live in Aberdeenshire (almost 40 years now) but still visit relatives in E. Yorks. I think David is in Cumbria. You could look me up in the BT Phonebook.

• Dr P A D Williams/"Paddy"/"Tony" on November 8, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Are you auctioning the car as well?

1. Reply

Good morning all,
    I have an original BGSOBA car badge from the 1950’s, in excellent condition. I will put this on eBay soon for those that are interested. Oh, happy days ……….. Jim