Beverley Grammar School, in Beverley, East Yorkshire was founded in 700 AD and is the oldest state school in England. Notable former students include Thomas Percy and Paul Robinson. Beverley Grammar School was founded with the Collegiate Church in Beverley by St. John of Beverley c. 700 CE. Early records suggest that the medieval building, which existed in the southwest corner of the Minster grounds, was demolished in 1602 and replaced on the same site by a stone building in 1609.
This building fell into disrepair and the school moved to a site adjacent to the Headmaster’s house on Keldgate in 1816. Changes in local government caused the temporary closure of the school in 1886, but makeshift accommodation was found in Grayburn Lane and the school re-opened in 1889.
A new site was purchased in Queensgate in 1902 and the school moved yet again to a purpose built building accommodating some 70 students. The school grew in popularity and by 1917, in spite of the War, the number of students reached 100. Temporary huts were erected to include a wooden physics laboratory, the ‘American Hut’ and shower, baths and changing rooms.
In 1918, an Old Boys Memorial Fund was initiated to commemorate those who died during the War. In all, nearly £1,200 was raised, and in 1928 a sports pavilion was built as a memorial on the school field.
In 1936, a new brick building was erected on an adjacent site in Queensgate and the original building used for ‘manual’ lessons such as woodwork. By 1965 the first extension, a two story science and sixth form block, was erected followed in 1976 by a further two story extension including another laboratory and teaching rooms.
A separate technology block was built in 1978 which was further extended in 1990 to include an I.T. suite, lecture theatre and home economics room. 1980 saw a block of eight classrooms built parallel to the west wing and in 1985 a Sports Hall with common room facilities for the sixth form students was erected. The classrooms at the north of the school were redeveloped in 1981 to include an extra science laboratory on the first floor.
A new expressive arts block was completed October 1999 and includes four classrooms, music practice rooms, music teaching rooms and a drama studio.
An ofsted inspection was carried out in 2003 and the school was deemed “outstanding”.
A new sixth form block incorporating a new 6th Form common room, four new teaching rooms, two IT rooms, a private study room and offices for staff was opened in 2004. Later in 2004 the Technology block was renovated by re-arranging the internal space and adding an entrance room and hallway.
Currently the school teaches around 800 students and operates a joint Sixth Form of approximately 200 students with the nearby “Beverley High School”